Last night/this morning I went to the emergency room.

First of all I’d like to say that I am fine. Doctors saw me very quickly and ran blood tests and stuff to make sure that I wasn’t dying. They’ve given me a clean bill of health and determined that what was going on is probably muscle spasms and nothing more serious. I am not dying, there is nothing horribly wrong with me.

I woke up at around 2 in the morning with stabbing, excruciating pain in my shoulders, upper back, and in some parts of my chest. This is the second time in the past few weeks that I’ve been woken up by this same thing. The first time I waited, shifted around positions, and eventually it went away. I figured I’d had my bra straps too tight or something that day and had strained my shoulders, no big deal.

Then this same thing happened again so soon after the first incident. So I woke Byron up and told him that I was really scared now and I wanted to go to the hospital to make sure that it wasn’t me having a heart attack or something serious. The hospital is right down the road so we got there quickly.

I got an EKG and an IV once the doctor saw me (which was remarkably fast- there was no one else in the ER), and they ran blood work. They’d determined that my risk of heart attack was low so that probably wasn’t it, so the blood work was to determine if I had a blood clot in my lungs. They gave me an anti-inflammatory through the IV, and I lay there eating trail mix, sipping water, and making weird observations about my surroundings because I had nothing better to do. (It was comic research, in a way, maybe I can write the visit off as a business expense?)

By the time the blood work came back, the anti-inflammatory had kicked in and the pain in my back, shoulders, and chest was much diminished. My blood work is normally, my EKG looked fantastic. And since the anti-inflammatory helped, what they believe is going on is that I’m straining my shoulders during the day and then when I go to sleep and everything relaxes, my muscles spasm and get painful, and then wake me up. At least I know now that it’s not something that’s going to make me drop dead at any moment.

What is messed up, though, is the fact that I laid there in bed for awhile, staring at the ceiling and trying not to have a panic attack, because I live in a country where you can think you’re having a heart attack and can’t just go to the hospital, because what if you ARE having a heart attack and then you have thousands of dollars of medical bills that you can’t pay? I literally was awake debating whether or not to go find out if I was dying because I was worried about the hospital bills.

I’m glad that I’m not dying. I’m glad that now I know this is nothing more serious than sore muscles so that next time I know what to do and won’t panic over it. I don’t know how much this is going to cost me, and won’t know until the bill shows up. Hopefully it won’t be too much- I’ll assess that bridge once I come in to view of it, I guess.

So that’s how my week is going so far. Someone please tell me theirs started off with something a lot better- I could use some positivity! Tell me, what is going well for you this week, or what are you excited about that’s coming up? I want to know!